Saturday, February 7, 2015

I had a fantastic day yesterday. Until.



I made the three-hour drive to my credit union yesterday morning to pick up my cashier’s check. The drive was actually fantastic. I passed through breathtaking landscapes, I smelled eucalyptus, I sang at the top of my lungs, I listened to a great book (The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern), I touched the ocean. As the sun rose a fiery red, I remembered early morning road trips with my whole family packed in the car, but only my Dad and me awake. It was a fantastic day.

Until.

I got a call at 6:30 pm from the title company. The cashier’s check was made out to me, not to them, and is therefore unusable. I had checked the amount of the cashier’s check before I left the credit union, but hadn’t checked that they’d made it out to the right entity. Apparently, “thoroughness” is not on my list of values.

So I have to go back and do it all again. At first, I cried. Then I raged. Then I decided to stay in the moment, enjoy my weekend, and just go back on Monday. Like you do.

There’s a word for this situation and the feelings it engenders in me, but I don’t know what it is. Is it hubris? Is it irony? Is it just that I’m wrong about everything all the time?

I feel like it’s still worth it, though - and that amazes me. Would I go to this much trouble for a new bike or a new car? No. But for a new house, apparently the answer is yes.

And, after fifteen years, I think it’s finally time to put “find a new credit union” on my to-do list. Well, on the bottom of my to-do list. Items 1 to 400 are all buying a house.

No comments:

Post a Comment