Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Kat vs Target. Kat wins.

I went to Target tonight. I needed the trip to finish my project from this weekend, which was to buy everything I'm going to need the moment I get the key to the new place (knock on wood). To blow off some steam from work and from the I-thought-escrow-would-be-closed-by-now-please-please-sell-me-this-house-so-I-can-stop-constantly-knocking-on-wood-all-day anxiety, I gave myself permission to let go, to buy more than was on my list, to not worry about it. Like most Target shoppers, I usually buy more than I came in for anyway - but it's rare for me to give myself permission to do that instead of just doing it against my will and better judgment.

But somehow, I bought only one impulse item: a really useful looking kitchen floor mat in the exact same deep red I want to use on the walls.

And somehow, buying every single item on my list (hand towels, toilet paper, soap, a trash can, trash bags, etc) plus the rug totaled less than $100.


What sort of madness is this?

At first, I thought I had entered a parallel universe. Then I thought I might have a fever (measles is going around). Then I thought I had become some amazingly mature woman who is patient and who only buys consumer goods consistent with her values. Then I realized the truth: I have developed a super power. I can resist the Target impulse buy.

I need a cape. I have plenty of leggings.

No comments:

Post a Comment